Brandon Long wrote:
I'm not sure what they're supposed to do.

Bounce handling/hard failing wouldn't be a bad thing... I have facebook getting 550 User Unknown for the same email address for over 6 months now.... that's when it gets ridiculous... (Well done Steve for the article on this problem) you know, I get with the whole ESP 5xx's are not hard fails argument (even though I disagree personally) .. but seriously... if the same email address gives you 5xx responses (particularly 550's) for a month you have to question the validity of the argument.

If they give you the information, they're giving you information that's not yours, which is clearly a violation of privacy.

If you have access to the email address, and you use that to get access to data that's not yours, then you're the one doing the privacy violation.

..and that was the point of my post in many ways... because no matter what you (I) do it's a violation of law or trust or privacy... Lose-Lose situation.

What they should have is a way to say "this isn't my account". I've seen that commonly on first attempts (ie, Google's sign up will send a validation message to your alternate/secondary email address, and that has a "this wasn't me" link in it), but it's not common after the fact.

Or pay attention... I know some who have had a deluge of Facebook emails and they don't even have an account (because someone mis-typed.)

With some mail, I've seen that you can edit the delivery preferences without any other kind of login, I've done that sometimes to stop getting the messages, even if that hasn't actually "fixed" the underlying problem.

It's obviously a problem with address re-use as well. I'm not sure if these specific hosts have ever implemented Yahoo's RRVS extension, if so you might be able to get them to stop that way.

Problem for me is if you get a hold of someone at Facebook, you get, "Oh it's policy"... If you block the messages people are up in arms "Facebook is too big to block are you stupid?"... I guess the answer is either publicly shame them, or attempt a court order to stop it.. and perhaps damages... which would get publicity... and maybe.. just maybe that would be enough to get someone to actually pay attention and make the change?

Thoughts?

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/