John,

I have an incredible amount of respect for you and your work, so I hope our
disagreement is only because we're talking past each other.

The receiving MTA has many tools to choose from when they apply spam filtering
to incoming email.  They may filter on sending IP, key words, score the message
based on various elements of the message and other contextual data.  There is
no silver bullet and no regulatory mandate on exactly how it is to be done, and
the receiving MTA's chief accountability is to its own customer, the intended
recipient of the message.  All that said, one of the ways for a sending domain
to communicate to the receiving MTA how a message from their domain is to be
treated is SPF.  The SPF standard has described a reasonable range of actions,
and when the sending domain selects "-all" they are communicating in the
strongest terms possible what they want the receiving MTA to do with the
message.  Again, the receiving MTA doesn't have to do SPF checking and they
don't have to even respect what the sending domain specified in that SPF
record, but what I don't understand is how the receiving MTA retains the
primary burden to still deliver message when the sending domain specifies
"-all".  To ignore the sender's explicit request is to claim that the receiving
MTA knows better than the sending domain what do with the message.

Now, it is possible, as has been laid out, to use the same tools that one
regularly uses to assess a message and then decide to ignore the action items
specified in the sending domain's SPF.  If the receiving MTA does that, and
does it well, the recipient wins. Do it wrong, and the sending domain's (best)
intentions were frustrated and receiving MTA's customers were done a disservice
(hopefully minor, but potentially more major if it was a phish).

In regards to DMARC, do you feel so strongly about DMARC that you believe any
mail operator that doesn't support DMARC processing on message receipt is doing
a poor job?

Frank