> On Aug 1, 2017, at 2:26 PM, Brett Schenker <bhschen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone have a good suggestion to research domain reputation? IP ratings are
> easy, but domain seems to be much more difficult (there's one or two go tos
> for me).

When I’m looking into domain reputation I look for answers to the following
questions:

* Where is this domain used?
* What types of mail does it show up in?
* What does the website look like if I go to the bare URL?
* What does the whois record look like?
* What does the SPF record look like?
* Does this company have an affiliate program?
* Does this company have an easy to find signup link on their website?
* Is this domain listed on any of the domain based blocklists?

There are some other questions I ask and specifics that I look at, but I can’t
share all my secrets publicly.

laura

> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com
> <mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 1:48 PM, Paul Witting <paul.witt...@bisglobal.com
>> <mailto:paul.witt...@bisglobal.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone from Gmail here? Hopefully I’m not off topic.
>>
>> CEO was complaining about mail not getting to clients (not mail campaigns,
>> just day to day business). He sent a simple Subject: Test w/ Body Test (+
>> signature) to his personal Gmail account and Gmail flagged it as spam based
>> on “content”. I duplicated it sending from my own account to my own account
>> (even included his signature) and it came through to my inbox, no issues. .
>> SPF and DMARC both passed on the original message. How is the message he
>> sends getting flagged as spam while the identical message I send gets right
>> through.
>
> Gestalt filtering. https://wordtothewise.com/2017/06/filtering-by-gestalt/
> <https://wordtothewise.com/2017/06/filtering-by-gestalt/>
>
> In more modern filtering, particularly at Gmail, scoring is dynamic. There
> are still rules and they still assign scores. But the scores themselves can
> be modified by other scores in the process. It’s not a simple sum of scores
> so changing anything can change the overall status of a message.
>
> Take two identical messages and two IP addresses one with an arbitrary
> reputation of 5 and another with an arbitrary reputation of 10. By the score
> and sum method, the final email reputation scores would be message+5 and
> message+10. With relative scoring, though, the IP reputations might turn out
> to be 2 and 13.
>
> There’s also a big piece of individual filtering there - if you send from
> your account to your account with any sort of regularity, then that pattern
> will affect how mail from you, to you is delivered outside of whatever
> filtering there is. I’ve had to stop using my “main” gmail account for tests
> and go to a new one because Gmail figured out I regularly send from @wttw to
> @gmail and has prioritized that mail into the inbox. If I send to a different
> @gmail account, it goes to bulk.
>
> With the symptoms you describe, however, I’d look hard at the domain
> reputation.
>
> laura
>
> --
> Having an Email Crisis?  800 823-9674 <tel:(800)%20823-9674>

> [...]

la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741

Email Delivery Blog: http://wordtothewise.com/blog