On 2017-11-08 12:20, Warren Volz wrote:
All,

One of my users has their account setup to forward mail to Gmail. Recently I've started to see lots of rejects that look like the following:

<us...@gmail.com> (expanded from <us...@somelocaldomain.net>): host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400e:c04::1a] said: 550-5.7.1
[ipv6 address 18] Our system has detected that
550-5.7.1 this message is likely suspicious due to the very low reputation
of 550-5.7.1 the sending IP address. To best protect our users from spam,
the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550 5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information.
p26si2014836pli.781 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

I've looked over the forwarding best practices provided by google and we are not modifying the envelope sender. I'd rather not start throwing away what our filter marks as spam since I leave that up to the user, but is that the only way to stop the bounces? Also, is the "18]" an artifact or some kind of error?

How good are your spam filters? One thing you can try is to only forward non-spam and dump the spam in the user's mailbox.

Next, have the user configure Gmail's POP3 account retrieval feature so that Google will retrieve the spam and add it to the mailbox. There will be some degree of latency for the spam to come through, but nothing gets lost.

It mostly doesn't matter if you deliver the non-spam into your local mailbox (and forward it) or just forward it as Gmail skips duplicate messages.