From: mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] On Behalf Of Michael Peddemors
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 1:43 PM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] Gmail forwarding blowback

Do what we do, if you mark a message as 'Spam' deliver it to a 'local'
IMAP folder called spam, and only forward the non-spam emails.

If they want to see it, they can log into your server to check that account..
(and don't let them turn spam protection off)

But really, you should 'stop forwarding remote', that is the direction the
industry is taking, since every email client can check multiple mailboxes..

Besides, you want to keep the customer, not make him a gmail customer ;)

On 17-11-08 11:20 AM, Warren Volz wrote:
> All,
>
> One of my users has their account setup to forward mail to Gmail.
> Recently I've started to see lots of rejects that look like the following:
>
> <us...@gmail.com> (expanded from <us...@somelocaldomain.net>): host
> gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400e:c04::1a] said: 550-5.7.1
> [ipv6 address 18] Our system has detected that
> 550-5.7.1 this message is likely suspicious due to the very low
> reputation of 550-5.7.1 the sending IP address. To best protect our
> users from spam, the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
> 550 5.7.1
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information.
> p26si2014836pli.781 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)
>
> I've looked over the forwarding best practices provided by google and
> we are not modifying the envelope sender. I'd rather not start
> throwing away what our filter marks as spam since I leave that up to
> the user, but is that the only way to stop the bounces? Also, is the
> "18]" an artifact or some kind of error?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> -Warren

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
A Wizard IT Company - For More Info http://www.wizard.ca "LinuxMagic" a
Registered TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and are not intended to represent those of the company.