>> GSuite users can also denote a host as an inbound gateway to get around this
>> problem, but I was never able to get the resources to have gmail users have
>> the same ability.  It's possible this is something we could use arc for.

I humbly suggest that this is a problem that perhaps does not need to
be solved. If it's spam, don't forward it. Isn't this essentially what
Gmail does today, if a user sets up forwarding? Any mail trapped in
the spam folder will not be forwarded, if I recall correctly.

There was discussion around this in the past where AOL's forwarding
servers (I think) would add an x-spam tag, and the consensus from the
community at the time seemed to be, if you know that it's garbage, why
would you send it to me? The intent was good -- it was meant to help
the receiving site decide how to route the mail based on how the
forwarding site felt about it. But again, this is only useful if you
buy the argument that this particular email message should have been
forwarded to begin with.