From: mailop [mailto:mailop-boun...@mailop.org] On Behalf Of Warren Volz
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:21 AM
To: Mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
Subject: [mailop] Gmail forwarding blowback

All,

One of my users has their account setup to forward mail to Gmail. Recently I've
started to see lots of rejects that look like the following:

<us...@gmail.com<mailto:us...@gmail.com>> (expanded from
<us...@somelocaldomain.net<mailto:us...@somelocaldomain.net>>): host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400e:c04::1a] said: 550-5.7.1
[ipv6 address 18] Our system has detected that
550-5.7.1 this message is likely suspicious due to the very low reputation
of 550-5.7.1 the sending IP address. To best protect our users from spam,
the 550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit 550 5.7.1
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/188131 for more information.
p26si2014836pli.781 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

I've looked over the forwarding best practices provided by google and we are
not modifying the envelope sender. I'd rather not start throwing away what our
filter marks as spam since I leave that up to the user, but is that the only
way to stop the bounces? Also, is the "18]" an artifact or some kind of error?

Thanks for the help.

-Warren