[NOTE: There's absolutely never any need to CC me individually when posting to this or any other list I'm on. Or not on.]

On 2023-06-23 at 12:46:58 UTC-0400 (Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:46:58 -0700)
Luke via mailop <lukemarti...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

That's right, Bill. It's so simple. All the ESPs and MTAs out there have
tools built in to create and customize response handling rules for
absolutely no reason.

In 30 years of administering mail systems, including a wide variety of MTAs and a couple of MLMs, I've never found it useful to significantly modify the basic error codes or qualitatively vary reactions to them. Not sure how I'd even do that in Postfix, I'm pretty sure it would require hacking the code in ways that it is not designed for. Yes, it's easy to just never retry any 4xx, no, you can't adjust reaction to a 4xx code based on the text part or retry after a 5xx.

We actually just do it for fun. We know that every
single 4xx should be retried and every single 5xx should not be retried. But we thought it would be neat to have a table with hundreds of custom
rules just to make it sound more complicated than it is.

Sounds wild, but people do crazy stuff based on unsupportable hunches unencumbered by real data, particularly when it involves the mixing of computer and human behaviors. It would hardly be novel for an ESP to engage in self-deception about what they need to be the essentially arcane and complex lore of how to send bulk email.

I've seen a few robust attempts to comprehensively violate the rules on not interpreting the text part of SMTP replies which, under careful analysis, were on-balance net negatives. The very meager discernible benefits could never justify the concrete cost of building and maintaining a system of dozens or hundreds of custom rules. Maybe you do it differently or better, but I'm a skeptic.

So, you're right, it's just because we are big and we don't think the rules
apply to us. Super productive take you have there.

If I ever thought that I was being 'productive' for Twilio I would bill for it.

I can tell you've really
given this some thought.

More than you can imagine...

Nothing in the past 25 years has persuaded me that the "ESP" industry is anything but parasitic and harmful, as it is built on fundamental falsehoods. Your sneering is neither original, surprising, nor persuasive. It is clear that you believe you are exempt from the basic rules of SMTP interoperability and I've seen that before, often. My assertion of *why* you believe that is of course just a guess, but in my experience it has always boiled down to scale and a refusal to accept some fundamental truths of email. If you have evidence that it is actually worthwhile for you, you could just say that. My experience includes evidence that it is not. Maybe that has changed in 2023, but I doubt it.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire