On 2023-06-22 04:21:59, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop wrote:
> >> We update kernels, reload AV signatures, have databases go down,
> >> accidentally crash postfix during OS upgrades, typo config files, etc.
>
> Couldn't you make so if the inner servers are in trouble or go down
> or similar, then the perimeter server will buffer the email for you
> without a temporary reject?

We don't want to accept mail and then later bounce (backscatter) it,
so at a minimum, the outer servers need to be able to do recipient
validation and spam scanning, and those services can have hiccups.

No matter how far you push the problem down the road, there's a
fundamental limit you hit eventually.

> When it comes to spam and virus filtering, you could skip spam
> filtering for "buffered" email, ergo email that was received during
> outage. And just apply virus filtering.  For virus filtering, you
> ARE allowed to silently delete email according to RFC, and what I
> know, also for those countries that prohibit silently deleting
> emails for "spam":

I was referring to a European law that doesn't apply to us, so I don't
want to focus on it too much. Instead I'll just say that us silently
deleting emails is not a very satisfying solution to the problem of
someone else silently deleting emails.