Sorry this is so off the topic but I was wondering about the significance of the name Elissa, versus Dido.  My AP students were intrigued that Aeneas used Elissa in referring to the queen at line 335 of Bk IV.  We don't think that this name was applied to her before this line and therefore, we are wondering if there is any significance that to its use at this particular juncture?  ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: VIRGIL: teaching Aeneid in translation

David:

I was one of those history-challenged high school, and then college, Virgil
students and I vote for the all-at-once.  After college, I read Syme's Roman
Revolution and Scullard's From the Gracchi to Nero, and they opened up whole
new dimensions in the text of the Aeneid for me.  Of course, Syme isn't
something you can speed through as a quick read, though.  Even a 25-page
down-and-dirty summary of the history, however, would add greatly to the
richness of the experience.  In Latin the poetry can hypnotize without
assistance;  a translation may need a background of political tensions to
create the same kind of excitement as the Odyssey creates.  Once one
understands the political environment, the Aeneid can be as interesting for
what it does not say as for what it does say:  an exercise in subtlety and
obliqueness.  Subtlety is not the first thing that comes to my mind when I
think of the Odyssey;  they are useful counterpoints in this regard.

 - Oliver Metzger