Don't forget that Ovid said Book 4 was the most read book of the poem.
And Augustine spent his youth weeping over Dido.  So perhaps you need to
posit a disconnect between commentators, on the one hand, and readers on
the other, who seem to have differed on the effects (if not also the
purposes) of the poem.

c. perkell

Christine Perkell/ Zarbin                           Department of Classics
Associate Professor                                 Callaway Center N404
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   Emory University
404 727 7592; fax 404 727 0223                      Atlanta, GA 30322