At 1:25 PM -0400 7/15/98, Philip Thibodeau wrote:
>There's certainly no question that Donatus and Servius saw one of the most
>important purposes of the Aeneid to be praise of Augustus, but I think it
>important to keep in mind that they are advancing interpretations from a
>grammarian's point of view.  And the grammarians tend to be very
>sympathetic to the idea that poetry and oratory are more or less two
>aspects of the same phenomenon, hence that you can read poetry as though it
>were a kind of versified oratory, and oratory as though it were a kind of
>prose poetry.  From this point of view, it will seem natural to regard the
>Aeneid as a sort of very long panegyric.

Forgive my obtuseness, but I frankly do not see how this follows.

Furthermore, how can one ignore the Actium episode, for one? Of course the
poem praises Augustus, as well he should be praised by anyone of common
sense then or now. Clearly Vergil, who prized the bridling of both civic
and individual "impius furor" as one of the highest accomplishments of
civilized man, would praise the Princeps for his monumental accomplishment
in bringing peace to a world torn by murderous and incessant civil strife.
Praise, however, is not adulation; Book XII certainly reveals the poet's
innate skepticism regarding the founders and foundation of empires, however
sadly necessary they may be. For Augustus to read this book and still set
aside the poet's last will and testament argues once more his serene
maturity and self-confidence.

James Lewis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
13 Sequoia Drive, Wichita KS 67206 USA