2011/9/4 Charles-H. Schulz <[email protected]>

> Le 04/09/2011 16:38, Danishka Navin a écrit :
> >>>> I am not talking about the TDF community but external people.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>> All right. But *who* are external people? And how can we identify them?
> >>> For
> >>> me the only fact someone is using LibreOffice is enough to put him/her
> in.
> >>>
> >>>
>
>
> I think that anyway anyone can use the LibreOffice logo (without the
> subline) according to our TM policy. But I'm a bit skeptical as to how
> Paulo defines the people who contribute to LibreOffice and that we
> apparently are not aware of. We have defined pretty much (and with some
> range) who are contributors to our community and our project. The notion
> that somehow these people should not be trusted is weird and not really
> friendly-sounding. What do you mean, Paulo, that whatever contributors
> do should be taken with mistrust?
>

Excuse me. where exactly have I said that? My point is exactly the opposite.
Please, read my other message on this issue. By the way, I don't think we
can point exactly who are LibreOffice contributors and who aren't. We have
no tools to do it.


>
> So yes, we're talking about stores, not about anyone selling a T-shirt.
>

Hummm. I thought we were talking about *our* stores, not *any* store.


> In fact, anyone can sell a t-shirt with the LibreOffice logo without the
> TDF subline: I don't think it helps TDF, and I think it does anything
> but covering the cost of T-shirt production and whatever profit you want
> to make out of it.


I'm not sure what exactly this means. So, correct me if I'm wrong: Anyone is
able buy some blank t-shirts, print LibreOffice logo on (without the TDF
subline) and sell them. But those people can't have any profit, neither to
cover costs promoting LibreOffice, like travels, hotels, folders,
subscriptions to events, etc. Despite of that, some TDF SC members can ask
for reimbursement for the same thing, when in a TDF mission, that comes
directly from the money that those people, you're saying they can't use
LibreOffice community brand for profit, gave to TDF.

Don't get me wrong, but I think there's something strange in that line of
thinking. One thing is profit for itself. Another one is profit for using it
in Libreoffice promotion efforts. And that's the point I mean with *trust*:
TDF should trust people will use the money for promoting LibreOffice.


> But I would also see disadvantages as clearly saying
> that we support anyone using our logo: otherwise why would we have any
> TM policy (and why would we have a foundation anyway?)?
>

Question is not if TDF supports those people, but if those people support
TDF and LibreOffice. The simple fact of using a t-shirt is marketing, so it
is a marketing effort and supports TDF. Personally, I only use t-shirts from
people I identify myself with them. I never would use a t-shirt from
Microsoft, would you? LibreOffice brand is not widely known, except in IT or
FOSS environment. Those people already know/use Libreoffice. They are not
our main marketing target, in my view. The "outsiders" are.

So, giving people the freedom to use the community brand without any hard
restrictions about profit can spread the knowledge of the mark. In parallel
to it, a permanent campaign asking for people who sell LibreOffice marketing
stuff to contribute with part of their profit to TDF.

People have some kind of attraction for "official" stuff. So, we could
provide "official" t-shirts, "official" coffe cups, "official" whatever,
using the brand with the TDF subline. Those stuff should be available only
in TDF stores, or in authorized resellers, who should pay for that, and no
one should be able to produce and sell that items without TDF express
permission. In that case I do agree the brand (with the TDF subline) should
be regulated.


>
> Best,
>
>
Cheers.


> Charles.
>
>
-- 
Paulo de Souza Lima
Técnico em Eletrônica e Administrador
http://www.pasl.net.br
http://almalivre.wordpress.com
Curitiba - PR
Linux User #432358
Ubuntu User #28729

"For people to achieve peace in their relationships, spiritual peace and the
peace among people, it's necessary, earlier, to win the internal battle
between virtues and defects" - Talal Husseini - Acropolitan Philosopher

-- 
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [email protected]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Reply via email to