G'day Simon,

Thaxis had a pretty good go at the 'materialist conception of history'
interpretation question a little while back - which may explain the paucity
of responses to this question.  Not surprisingly, some of us defended the
necessary social basis of HM and some didn't.  But those who didn't
(amongst whom yours truly was  not numbered) saw their defence of diamat as
Leninist, Engelsist AND Marxist.  So, if you do manage to kick-start a
thread here, it'd probably be about how Marxist Lenin was - which is rather
a round-about way (and potentially no way at all) to get to the
philosophical guts of the HM v DM issue.

So why not tell us exactly what you see as wrong with the DM case - either
as philosophy in general or guide to practice in particular?  That way, you
give us something more productive upon which to chew.

Waddya reckon?

Cheers,
Rob.