On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 11:40:14 -0500 c b <cb31...@gmail.com> writes:
> On his return to activity, the group began to work their way through
> all the theories of psychology which were contesting the field on
> the
> world stage: Freud, Piaget, James, ... critiquing them and
> appropriating the insights each had to offer. The group worked
> collaboratively, discussing the problems in a group while one of
> them
> took notes. To this day it is not possible to be certain about the
> authorship of much of what the group produced in this period. Even
> graduate students were invited to experiment on their own
> initiative
> and sometimes made key breakthroughs.
>
> In a 1929 manuscript known as ‘The Crisis in Psychology’ (1997a)
> they
> critically appropriated the insights of many contending schools of
> psychology, just as Marx had laboriously worked his way through
> everything that had been written about political economy.

Back in Janauary, I wrote a little a bit about the
"crisis in psychology" as seen by Soviet psychologists
back in the 1920s and 1930s. See:
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism-thaxis/2009-January/023554.h
tml

As I pointed the Soviet psychologists drew upon both
American behaviorism, as represented by John B. Watson
and the Gestalt school.  Watson was seen as offering
a materialist psychology, which suffered from the
defect of being mechanistic and undialectical.
The Gestalt school offered a dialectical psychology,
but which was idealist.  The Soviet psychologists
were attempting to develop a psychology that
was both materialist and dialectical.

As Andy Blunden piece notes, the
psychology of Lev Vygotsky was
suppressed by Stalin's regime.  In