Soviet Cultural Psychology

CB: >>So, phenomenology is psychology.  Sounds like quintessential
positivism- starting with the individual and trying to derive a
fundamental of humans.  I see why Husserl is first cousin to the
existentialists like Heidegger. They all fall into the bourgeois error
of primacy of the individual.<<

You may well be on to something. I think this is why Merleau-Ponty is
the greatest heir to Husserl--because M-P could successfully integrate
Marxist thinking into phenomenology (or not, depending on your
evaluation of M-P, I guess). At least he tried--as did Sartre and de
Beauvoir. Husserl is, intellectually thinking, Heidegger's 'FATHER',
and Heidegger his wayward son, so to speak.

However, I must also point out that Husserl's phenomenology critiqued
and rejected the empiro-positivism of his time but also critiqued and
rejected types of 'historicism'. Still, Husserl is often quoted as
saying something like "We [phenomenologists] are the true
positivists."

A couple more points. My point about phenomenology and psychology is
that, starting with Brentano and a handful of figures associated with
him, we get both branches of psychology and branches of philosophy.
Husserl goes decidedly in the direction of philosophy, away from
psychology, although he was interested in the so-called 'crisis'. As
did the relatively but criminally obscure Meinong.

However, that doesn't mean he moved away from being interested in
'science', since he wanted to give philosophy a scientific basis (a
concern of the positivists and Wittgenstein, as well, and not merely a
coincidence).

Also I would point out here--because it occurs to me--that much of the
modern/post-modern 'science' of linguistics is actually
phenomenological in its nature. As is emergent concerns around
'cognition' and 'cognitive science'. And the postmos are falling into
the same old traps of the crisis when they want to rely on
neuroscience to explain all. At any rate, getting back to
phenomenology, it seems to indicate that Husserl's project was
decidedly a 'rationalist' one, despite the reputation it gets through
the distorting post-modern and post-structuralist filters. In research
around 'second language acquisition', however, the projectors have
never got past naive positivism and behaviourism.

CJ

See:

http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/0/6/6/5/6/p66560_index.html

Abstract:

    Theoretical approaches to modernity (A.D. 1815 onwards) seem to
suffer a twofold fate: (a) partial reconstructions of a "European
past" presented as total reconstitutions of the "Global present"; and,
(b) the belief that pre-modernity was dominated by a monolithic,
intellectually hegemonic philosophy. While positivism characterizes
much of the work of 19th century philosophers such as Kant, Comte,
Hume, and Saint-Simon, it is generally accepted that Comte first used
the word positivism in the place that the history of philosophy has
ascribed to it, however, Kant appears to be more precise about
philosophy's method, and therefore is used here to illustrate how
modernity reaches backwards into Kantian deontological space: a
transcendental space that arises out of a reliance on the human senses
(as it leaves impresses in the human mind, Vorstellungen). Kant and
Husserl, like Plato before them, assumed truth and value were
discoverable within human beings. They were interested in the process
and method of uncovering such truth and value, and how these equally
modern qualities continue to be vigorously present in the positivist
and phenomenological traditions. Briefly, positivism describes the
nature of the scientific arrangements that were needed to discover
knowledge; human beings became the center of the universe, and
replaced religion as the focus of cosmological activity. At the center
of Comte's arguments (that ran parallel to Kantian notions of time and
space) was the search for proof and evidence: the primary logic for
the excavation of knowledge. Phenomenology on the other hand did not
view knowledge as a process of discovery as the positivists generally
claimed. Rather, phenomenology emphasizes the creation of knowledge
phenomena per se at historical points in time rather than a process of
discovering knowledge as "fixed and immutable assets".

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/455564/Phenomenology/68551/Contrasts-with-related-movements#

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13008675/Phenomenology-and-Positivism

http://books.google.com/books?id=_JsOAAAAQAAJ&dq=husserl+social+world&source=gbs_navlinks_s