On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 1:51 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On 2015/06/02 7:58 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Paul Ivanov <p...@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>

>> That said, if you want to play around with the editor tool, it's
>> linked on the webpage :-).
>

> This is a really nice tool!
>
> Attached is an example of a map that circles the other direction, and that
> sacrifices some visual delta for less extreme ends.  Although I think the
> "sunrise" type of map that you offered in versions A, B, and C is a good one
> to have in the arsenal, I am not convinced that it should be the only
> category to be considered as a default.  Do we really want to reject the
> somewhat Parula-like category just because Matlab uses the real Parula?
>
> I'm not saying the attached example is particularly good; it is intended to
> re-introduce the category.  (It is somewhat similar to a reversal of our
> ColorBrewer YlGnBu, so I tried to name it following that scheme.)

That is nice! For those following along at home, here's what Eric's
colormap looks like:
   https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/erics_PuBuGnYl_r.png

We also tried tweaking it a bit to end on a more saturated yellow,
which I think helps increase contrast in the deuteranomalous version
in particular, and put this on the website as an "option D":
   https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/option_d.png

We also previously designed a colormap that follows parula's ideas
pretty closely, in terms of starting/ending points, overall
brightness, and the trick of kinking over through orange at the top
end. It ends up being much much more green than parula though:
   https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/fake_parula.png

> It seems that the fundamental constraints in this map generator tend to
> yield a somewhat muddy dark end and a muted middle.  That's one compromise
> among many that are possible.

You can somewhat avoid the muddy end by bumping up the minimum
brightness (option C does this to some extent), but of course that has
other trade-offs.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org