On 05/25/2010 matplotlib-users-requ...@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> From: Christopher Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
> Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] Mac backend problems for nearly all
>     backends.
> To: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>
> Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> > > I've experienced many of the same problems on Mac OS X 10.6.3
> (Snow
> > > Leopard).  I have python/scipy/numpy/matplotlib/ipython all
> installed
> > > via Macports.
>
> Just to be clear -- this sounds like a MacPorts problem, not
> necessarily
> an OS-X problem.
>

> > >  I finally have the WXagg backend
> > > working, but that required installed WXPython with the gtk/X11
> backend.
>
> Does MacPorts not allow a native wx? Maybe becasue you're running 64
> bit?

Right, I am running Snow Leopard and have Python 2.6 installed 64 bit.
Apparently, Carbon requires 32 bit and wxWidgets/wxPython does not (yet)
support Cocoa.  This problem will bite you in one form or another on Mac
OS X, regardless of whether you are using Macports or something else.

> Anyway, I guess that's why I don't use macports for python.

See above.

> backends and
>
> That's what I've been running, and I've had no real issues (Haven't
> tried the OS-X back-end) -- but I'm using the python.org python.

> obtained through
>
> OK -- then a fink issue, rather than a Macports one -- same idea,
> though.
>
> My impression is that neither fink nor macports do well with Mac GUI
> stuff -- unless you're talking X11.

Not exactly true.  Fink and Macports are tools and have their
shortcomings, but both can be immensely useful for installing all this
stuff.  Otherwise, you do it manually, which of course can cause you
trouble as well.  Anyway, getting off topic.  I only intended to report
some form of success with the wx backend.

Jonathan