Thanks for the info...
1)The problem does manifest in the same manner through the normal python
prompt.
2) I'm not sure what is meant by a "framework install."  Everything (except
MPL 99.1.1) was installed through fink.
3) I've never had problems with Fink software before, and I have a crapload
(technical term) of stuff installed.  This is neither here nor there,
however, as it seems that not all Pythons are created equal.
4) A colleague of mine claims to have everything working on a new Intel mac
(I'm guessing 10.5.8) right out of MacPorts; I'll talk to him more and try
to find out what is different between our two cases.
5) I have yet to try installing wxPython for python 2.5; this may work in
the end.  It's not in fink, so I've put off installing it manually.  I'll
give it a shot and let you know how it works.
6) Although I use x11 and not the native Mac terminal, I'm not sure if this
requires me to install different packages for the gui stuff.  Could you guys
expand on this, please?

Finally, I've had some measure of success by installing Qt4 (through Fink)
and using the Qt4Agg backend.  Because the current stable fink Qt4 release
(4.6.1) has a bug, I need to apply the fix found here:
http://old.nabble.com/Qt4-backend:-critical-bug-with-PyQt4-v4.6%2B-td26205716.html
in order to allow more than one plot per session to be shown.  I'll re-write
the fix here for convenience and clarity (the original did not have the
proper module references in it, so this saves some 5 minutes of
tab-completion work in ipython...)

# Add this before "FigureManagerQT" class
class FigureWindow(QtGui.QMainWindow):
    def __init__(self):
        super(FigureWindow, self).__init__()
    def closeEvent(self, event):
        super(FigureWindow, self).closeEvent(event)
        if QtCore.PYQT_VERSION_STR.startswith('4.6'):
            self.emit(QtCore.SIGNAL('destroyed()'))
# Replace "QtGui.QMainWindow" by "FigureWindow" in
"FigureManagerQT"'s constructor

This works perfectly on my Intel machine running MPL 99.1.1.  It's fast and
looks sharp.  I'll report back on the PPC/99.0 combo tomorrow; Qt4 takes a
thousand hours to compile.

Thanks for the input.