I've not talked about this a whole lot publicly yet, but the IMA has
developed a mobile tour platform that we've used internally for exhibitions
here at the museum.  We are committed to releasing this platform as an open
source option for museums to use in constructing their own mobile tours.

The system, called TAP, consists of a Drupal-based Content Management System
(CMS) that authors can use to construct and preview tours.  The CMS will
output a platform neutral metadata and content bundle which can be used to
drive mobile experiences on a number of clients as well as traditional web
platforms...  We are also planning on releasing an iPod-Touch based app that
interprets this middleware and produces a keypad-style multimedia tour.

You can read more about TAP here: http://www.imamuseum.org/interact/tap and
here:
http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/projects/indianapolis-museum-of-art

<http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/projects/indianapolis-museum-of-art>We
call the metadata spec - TourML - and have released it here:
http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/products-services/tourml

<http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/products-services/tourml>Our
overall software architecture is described here:
http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/software-architecture-proposal

<http://wiki.museummobile.info/museums-to-go/software-architecture-proposal>And
a demonstration of the system will be given at this year's Museums and the
Web conference in Denver.  See
http://archimuse.com/mw2010/abstracts/prg_335002400.html

<http://archimuse.com/mw2010/abstracts/prg_335002400.html>It's likely that
an open-source release of TAP will occur in the next few weeks prior to the
MW conference.

There are several museums who have expressed interest in using this platform
for their own development efforts, and our goal is to build up a community
platform that can be built and contributed to over time.

Please feel free to follow up w/me directly and ask questions if this seems
interesting to you.

Sincerely,

Rob

--