>I don't think it is ethical for me to $ charge for apps on iTunes
>considering  museums are providing free content for subscribers.

Kurt -- I'd disagree with that statement. I don't think there's
anything unethical to it, especially if what you're trying to do is
recover the costs of the app development in the first place. Museums
charge all the time for access to content; many museums have paid
admission. All your doing is charging access to a portion of your
digital content. Even further, museums that cover the cost of free
admission many times also offer ancillary programs and events that
are covered by a fee.

That being said, I'm always in favor of free, but there's also
nothing that prevents you from changing prices later in the app store
(start at $1.99) until / if you recover costs, reduce to free.

Or, flip it around and make the content separate from the
distribution of the content. Your framework may/may not cost money
(your app), but the content -- which can be provided by any museum --
is distributed for free within the app. With the current versions of
the app store and iPhone OS, you have the capability to charge for
in-app downloads of additional content.

-bw.
Bruce Wyman, Director of Technology
Denver Art Museum  /  100 W 14th Ave. Pkwy, Denver, CO 80204
office: 720.913.0159  /  fax: 720.913.0002
<bwyman at denverartmuseum.org>