From: "George Scharoun" <gschar...@mfa.org>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2013 9:41 AM
To: "mcn-l at mcn.edu" <mcn-l at mcn.edu>
Subject: [MCN-L] Embedding LCD screens in new walls?

Has anyone had experience burying an LCD display in a wall, so as to hide the
frame and/or crop the image to a desired aspect ratio? Our curators and
designers (not responsible for the well-being of the equipment) are keen on the
idea, as it will no doubt give the exhibition a nice clean look. However as the
technical producer, I feel very uncomfortable putting any piece of equipment
someplace I can't get to it, i.e. behind taped and painted seams.  Even if you
were guaranteed the equipment would have adequate ventilation, would you agree
to install equipment without maintenance access?

The question I'm often asked is, "will you need to get to it?" To which I
respond, "I shouldn't, but I might." It's true, but it feels like a flimsy
answer, so I'm curious to know how others have handled this situation, or how
you would handle it.

Thanks so much,
George

--