Jewel - IMHO it is best practice to keep "microsites" under your standard
URL umbrella. If your administration feels that you *must* have a special
URL (by the way, I know of no research that would support the efficacy of
special URLs), then purchase that and just re-direct to your own site.
Referral traffic to your special ex web presence is going to come from
google, social media sites, ad click-thrus, direct email clicks, etc.
Almost no one will be typing a full URL into a browser.
My two cents' worth,
Douglas

Douglas Hegley
Chief Digital Officer