Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tleeuwenb...@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the argument about harm
> minimisation, and the position that 'best interests' rather than
> majority rule is appropriate in some circumstances. Those are both
> valid points.

What of the point that this is a decision to be made by an administrator
informed about the issues, and not by popular appeal?

> Regardless of that, there is not a clear majority supporting changing
> the current settings.

It seems you dismiss the idea that the administrator should do what is
best based on the facts and trade-offs, whether or not it is most
popular. You defer that responsibility instead to whichever group
marshals the most voices.

That's a disappointment.

--
 \      “People always ask me, ‘Where were you when Kennedy was shot?’ |
  `\                        Well, I don't have an alibi.” —Emo Philips |