R A Bennell wrote:
  > However, I am concerned about the less than responsible citizens who also
have firearms and may well lack the
> common sense required to make good decisions.

In USA and UK, we call those people Certified Law Enforcement Officers.
The really funny part about the boobies is that something like 45-50% of the
people they shoot (all shootings, not just killings) are coppers, lots of
'friendly fire' and self inflicted wounds over there.

The exchange student you mentioned was newsworthy, it's the only such death I
can recall in the last ten years, and it was at least five years ago. The
homeowner probably thought the Japanese guy was hispanic and then assumed a
robbery would happen in the next few seconds.

We've probably had 50,000-100,000 people killed by bathtubs in USA in the last
ten years, so the rare death of an unexpected visitor is a drop in the bucket.
In fact, the few hundred who are slaughtered by cops, or the few hundred who
die
on bicycles every year, are also a drop in the bucket. But that doesn't stop me
from going on High Alert if there's an armed deputy on my property unless I
invited him here.

Mitch.