On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM, LarryT <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>   You seem incredibly knowlegable about computer stuff!   Maybe you can help
> me?   I have a new Toshiba laptop that came with Vista.  I'm not a happy
> camper and want to install XP.

Do you know which Service Pack of XP you are attempting to install?

> So, I thought it;d be simple to wipe the
> hard drive and install the new OS.  Not so fast.   The installation SW won't
> recognize the SATA disk drive - and the *only* way to get the SATA driver

XP has had 3 service packs, making a total screw up of 4 operating
systems. I don't believe SATA was available when XP was first
released, and maybe not even XP SP1. However, if you can get ahold of
a disc with XP SP2 or XP SP3, the license code you have should allow
you to install the newest version that *does* include SATA support
natively.

> into the puter is with a freakin floppy drive.   I've found a way so I will
> not need a floppy - by using nLite to integrate the driver into the XP
> install discs. But that's another story.

Well, you could always "SlipStream" the XP disk yourself. This
requires you to copy all the .CAB files from the disc you have to your
hard drive. Then you can install Service Packs 1-3 directly to those
files. Burn a new disc and install from that. It *should* be the same
as trying to install with an OEM version of XP SP3, which *should*
give you SATA support. Personally, I've always preferred a pressed OEM
disc to a burned disc. I've had some older machines "forget" how to
read a burned disc halfway through an install, even though it installs
perfectly on another machine.

>   I'd like to find a way to make sure the driver I found will work properly?
>  Can you describe something that might work?  One more thing - would Ubuntu
> or Fedora get around this problem?

Linux, at least any newer distro available, will have no problem with
your SATA drive. But you need to really look at all the gear in the
laptop before you move to either XP or Linux and make sure that all
the gear you need will have drivers in either OS.

>   If you're too busy to bother just say so & I'll find the answer somewhere
> else --
>
> Thanks -
> LarryT

EdB