If someone is using any Microsoft products at all on a mission critical server, they have bigger problems that no amount of redundancy will correct IMO.

Postgresql requires no license, but one can purchase a professional support contract from a 3rd party. It also doesn't suffer from the severe lack-of-professional quality that deeply permeates every product Microsoft has ever made.

On the other hand, Microsofts poor product quality has led me to some interesting adventures. Yesterday Microsoft streets and trips directed me to drive my 190D on a deeply rutted 4WD trail. I followed it for several miles, hoping it would get better before my wife convinced me to turn around. Who knew I could straddle and cross numerous 2 foot deep ravines in a small European sedan without breaking anything?

Tyler

dave walton wrote:
Load balancing, mirroring, log shipping, clustering and/or
virtualization depending on what the server is doing and how deep the
customer's pockets are. Microsoft does not require an additional SQL
License for a Mirror server. The Datacenter edition of Windows allows
for any number of VM's to run on the box regardless of version. It is
licensed per processor.

-Dave Walton