Rich, Could be the connections at the cooler in the radiator are loose but check the lines first. The leak will usually be toward the front of where the lines are wet with red oil. Look along the cooler lines next to the oil pan. On mine there is a bracket attached to one of the oil pan bolts that holds the cooler lines. One of the lines was rubbed through. I cut the line with a small pipe cutter and joined it together with a piece of fuel hose and two small hose clamps (standard tranny line repair at tranny shops). Haven't had a leak there for over two years.

I don't think I would go spraying cleaners around where they can get sucked into the engine while it is running. OK with a gasser but a diesel might get pretty mad and blow it's head off. If you wanted to get experimental you might try and find some flexible hose that fits onto the turbo output and lead it out of the engine compartment. Then with the engine cold you could start it and very quickly spray some of that cleaner into the intake of the turbo while you rev the engine a bit to spin it. May clean it out. Just make sure that the intake doesn't suck up anything loose or your engine may be toast. I just took the elbow off and cleaned that out and left it at that.

Manfred

Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:52:29 -0400
From: Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
Subject: [MBZ] 2 things -- 300SD
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

I have refilled the tranny 2 times now, tranny fluid is leaking
somewhere.  Is there a tranny cooler?  It looks like some lines come
forward from the tranny that are covered with fluid.  I have not had the
car up on ramps yet (I know, I know), just wondered if anyone might have
some thoughts on what a regular leak might spring from.  Tranny shifts
fine, so I think it is OK functionally.