Thanks, guys. Ed mentions something about dual video cards being necessary for video editing (below). Since Macs are good for that sort of thing, I had thought about buying a program that will allow retouching of old photos. We have family tintypes and such that are up to 150 years old that I'd like to restore digitally. Would I need dual cards for that sort of thing? My son-in-law would like the video editing feature since he shoots a lot of video. If I got a MacBook with the video editing feature, I could loan the MacBook to him to try. If he liked it he would probably buy a Mac too since video is his main hobby (besides fishing).

I just now checked the Apple refurb website and the plastic case MacBook for $749 Ed mentions (see below) that was there this morning is gone; nothing left but aluminum case MacBooks for a higher price, of course. I'll keep checking.
Gerry
---------------------------------------
From: "LWB250" <lwb...@yahoo.com
There are other differences on the "new" MacBook Pro, but all that aside, I believe part of Apple's reasoning behind dropping the "Pro" product line down a notch was to try and get the old 12" G4 PowerBook users onboard.

The 12" G4 PB had a following second to none in the notebook world, and I still know some people who are editing video on them in the field because of the size.

I don't get the SD card slot, and I suspect that will eventually disappear. They also did the Mini Display port on the 13", as well as bumped it up to FireWire 800, as opposed to 400. I think this is a not to video folks, too, although the Mini Display port is proprietary and has "smart" functions to prevent the viewing of media that's without DRM, I believe. I know there was an issue with it when it was first introduced last year, mainly because it prevented the viewing of some content, and Apple never said anything about this change until it was "discovered" by end users.

As for buying a used/refurb, do it from Apple. The only difference between new and a refurb is that the refurb will not have retail packaging - everything else that is included with a new Mac will be there. I have bought many refurbs from Apple, and they are as new, as well as carry a full retail warranty and are eligible for AppleCare (3 year warranty.) As for AppleCare, I wouldn't buy a notebook without it, and if you shop around you can find deals on it on eBay and other places - you have the first year to buy it -- after the initial one year warranty is up, no AppleCare. It gives you dibs on the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and unlimited phone support for three years, so it's money well spent.

That being said, I have AppleCare on all my machines, and have never had to use it, other than to replace a notebook battery that died after 100 cycles (They consider anything under 300 cycles warranty for the most part.)

MacDan