On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 11:36 PM, archer <arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, guys.  Ed mentions something about dual video cards being necessary
> for video editing (below).  Since Macs are good for that sort of thing, I
> had thought about buying a program that will allow retouching of old photos.
> We have family tintypes and such that are up to 150 years old that I'd like
> to restore digitally.
> Would I need dual cards for that sort of thing?  My son-in-law would like
> the video editing feature since he shoots a lot of video.  If I got a
> MacBook with the video editing feature, I could loan the MacBook to him to
> try.  If he liked it he would probably buy a Mac too since video is his main
> hobby (besides fishing).

You can perform video editing on any of the MacBook line, but with the Pro's
that have the Dual Video Card and Snow Leopard including OpenCL for
borrowing unused GPU cycles for apps and Grand Central to truly make use of
more than one processor, the Pro's with the second, far more power hungry
video card, are designed for intensive video editing.

As has been noted in earlier posts, however, there are true professionals
still using the PowerBook G4 for video editing. So even the MacBook, with
it's NVIDIA GPU, is going to give you a good video editing platform.
However, the cheaper last year Mini with integrated Intel GMA950 GPU, not so
much. The GMA was for office applications and light 3d acceleration. True
hard core video editing slows it way down.

In fact I have a video app I can't even use on the Mini, though can on a G5,
simply because of the video card and not the CPU. So if you are going to
want to do a lot of home movie / DV type editing, MacBook. If you are just
doing old digital photo / analog scanned photo touch up, you don't need the
power of the faster GPU's.

I just now checked the Apple refurb website and the plastic case MacBook for
> $749 Ed mentions (see below) that was there this morning is gone; nothing
> left but aluminum case MacBooks for a higher price, of course.  I'll keep
> checking.

Yeah, that's the trouble with the refurbs. A lot of times they are only a
very few in number, and go quick. But if you are patient and on top of it,
you can get a great deal. The more you say, the more it seems you'd be much
better served with a MacBook, or MacBook Pro and setting it up as a desktop
so you have portability when you need it, but the power to deal with large
media files on a regular basis. The Mini is great for Internet users and
office apps, typing papers, doing research, etc.

My wife uses the Mini to play a lot of World of Warcraft, and now that I
can't use my video app (BoinxTV,) it looks like I'm going to have to move up
to a MacBook myself.

Also, on the note of Boinx, I picked it up from a site called MacHeist (
http://www.macheist.com) if you do get a Mac, and love it, I can not
recommend MacHeist enough. About once a year they set up a lot of fake
websites, and partner with other Mac software providers, then you have to
perform logic tasks to track down a "spy" leaving clues in the system. With
each task you complete, you unlock an Application.

Then, when everything is said and done, they release the MacHeist Bundle
(which you don't have to play their game to purchase.) This year I paid $49
and received iSale, (an eBay app that lets you create an auction locally
with a point and click interface, then single click to "Go" and start the
auction on eBay itself) Picturesque, (which you'd probably like, it's a good
little photo touch up program) Souschef, (Recipe Database) World of Goo,
(Cute little game) PhoneView, (great if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch,
let's you manipulate data directly on the device) LittleSnapper, (I admit,
haven't used this much, kind of like an iPhoto database app I think) Acorn,
(a bit more powerful photo manipulator, editor) Kinemac, (3D Presentation
software) WireTap Studio, (This year the bundle was worth this alone, if it
is playing on your Mac, WireTap can capture the audio. Ergo, internet radio
and streaming music, click, saved) BoinxTV, (Real Time TV Studio, Multiple
Camera Input. If you want to produce an internet "TV" show, you need this
app) Delicious Library, (Use your digital camera to snap a shot of an items
barcode, then let the Library add it to your database. Great for insurance
claims. "Here's everything I owned.") Times, (RSS News Reader app)

The point is, for the price of most regular software packages, or a good
game, I got a bucket load of software.

EdB

--
"I'm a Night Elf Mohawk!" - Mr. T.