On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:
> Tim C wrote:
>
>> In fact, by the numbers it looks like we pay 20% more in the US than
>> CA, or at least did in 2008.
>
> You can't buy a used phone somewhere and do an ESN swap on your current
> account?

Assuming you're responding to the $35 plan, Sprint has disabled
activating the new types of data-enabled phones (Palm, Android,
probably "Windows Phone 7"s too) on any of the older plans; you have
to get a new style plan regardless.  I am completely addicted to
mobile e-mail and data, and would not consider buying a phone without
them.

I'm currently using a Touch Pro, which is about the top of the allowed
line.  I can ESN swap between TPs (and TP2s) all day, but it's still a
Windows Mobile phone that MS is killing, and after the first Windows
Phone arrives I will only be able to get TP/TP2s that are used and
probably similar condition to what I have now.  I expect I will get a
lightly used one off eBay to tide me for a year or two, but eventually
I know I will have to give up so I'm watching for a 'good deal' to
come along.  Given the poor quality of Sprint's customer service my
next plan will probably be with T-Mobile, and it will likely be more
expensive too.

Moral of the story, you get what you pay for, there we're back on
topic!  I've gotten to drive a Nissan for a Kia price for a few years,
but now that I know I want a Mercedes I'll watch until a good deal
comes along and/or I can afford one outright. :)

I do agree with Randy that the cell companies must be raking in the
cash, though I have no idea where it is going.  Subsidizing their
European owners, maybe?

-Tim