I had a similar problem with an S10 pickup, it was something in the ignition system but since your car is a diesel I guess it would not be a hot ignition module...

You sure it is fuel related? Is the glow system working OK? Glow plug fuse? Relay? I replaced the relay on the 84 300SD with whatever that new thing is Rusty sells, a fast glow relay or something? Or maybe it is just a new version of the same old. Whatever, the car starts much better now. (Hey, maybe that is like the hot ignition module?)

--R