Air leak in fuel lines. He said it is not delivering fuel to the nozzles when the condition exists. As an aside, Michael, you don't need to crack the injection lines. Just prime it with the hand pump, then crank it.

I had a similar problem with an S10 pickup, it was something in the ignition system but since your car is a diesel I guess it would not be a hot ignition module...

You sure it is fuel related? Is the glow system working OK? Glow plug fuse? Relay? I replaced the relay on the 84 300SD with whatever that new thing is Rusty sells, a fast glow relay or something? Or maybe it is just a new version of the same old. Whatever, the car starts much better now. (Hey, maybe that is like the hot ignition module?)

--R