Peter, It took me a while to get to this due to computer problems. I guess this was meant for me with the mention of the Chevy. The van has a new starter. I replaced it and installed the heat shield that was missing as I also thought that might be one of the problems. To some extent the starter helped with starting in general as the new one turns the engine over a lot faster. Still doesn't change the hot start after the engine has been off for about 15 to 20 min. Before that its fine though you do notice that it takes longer to start the longer it sits, heat soaking. After about 2-3 hours it's fine again. No increase in the oil level or thinning of the oil. Still it also changes with the almost every fill up. With one tank of fuel it may do it and the next it won't. I try to stay away from Shell as that seems to be one that has done it more often then others. There have been other no name stations that have also had fuel with the same problem.

All that said I think that compression may be part of the problem as it is a rather high mileage engine for a 6.5. It has over 200,000 miles on it and people that I have talked to around here seem to think that is more then I can expect from one of those. Anyway I only use it now and then when I have to pull a heavy trailer. Lately it has been the 'small' 1/2 ton military trailer usually with about 3000lbs of sand on it. :-) The 300D doesn't seem to be able to manage that quite as well and the hitch on it is a bit too low anyway. In any case I'm too lazy to do a compression check on the engine as I am getting to the point where the contortions needed to do that are just too much just to find out if that's the problem. I'll just keep going with it till it dies and then get rid of it.

Manfred

Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:12:51 -0500
From: Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Hard start problem returns- Update

You should also check the current draw on the starter when hot. When
the windings go bad, they get high resistance, and that excess
resistance goes way up with temperature, so when you crank with a bad
starter that is already hot, it won't turn the engine fast enough to
start. 100 rpm minimum, anything less and the compression leaks down
too low for it to fire even with glow plugs.

Worth a check, as this condition will give you the same problems
(although it won't respond to bleeding the lines). GM was famous for
roasted starters, especially Chevy, since the starter was less than
an inch from the exhaust manifold!

It's also possible that you have an internal leak in the IP -- you
aren't "making" oil are you?  check for fuel in the oil, of present
time to fined a used IP.

Peter