Mid to late 70's Chevy V8s were terrible about roasting starters. As noted, this won't be the case if you have "vapor lock" in the injection lines.

I'd lean toward a leak on the suction side of the fuel system. I'm not familiar with that particular engine, does it have a distributor type pump or an in-line? If it has unit injectors, you definitely have an air leak or a bad supply pump.

I doubt it could be a compression problem, as that would give you fits starting cold, not hot, and would produce copious white smoke as you cranked and it did not start. No smoke, it's a fuel supply issue somewhere.

Peter