That's a great story for Sat morning. Just think, not only would you save on lighting bills, but heating bills as well!

--R

On 9/25/2010 10:44 AM, Dieselhead wrote:
SWIMBO surprised me. She snagged some used doors. I was happy because I had found homes for all the used doors I had collected over time. Now I have 3 more very heavy doors to move store and try to find a home for. But, these doors have an interesting history. They are connected to the Manhattan project. Thus the glow in the dark reference. Part of the Manhattan project was to find a way to refine uranium to sufficient purity. That was done at a national lab located at a university. It involved a lot of chemists and physicists. to house all these chemists and physicists, they built a 3 story link building between the chemistry building and the physics building. This became the offices for the highest ranking members of the project, like Dr. Wilhelm. The link also housed a special library, and relevant parts of the university library were moved there, so the scientists could have easy access to the books. It was later renamed the Physical Sciences Reading Room.

The doors she snagged are the Physical Sciences reading room doors. A double set with glass panels and a book drop, and the door from the opposite end. SWIMBO want to use them in our retirement house to build a library an use these doors.

No actual refining was done in this link building, so the doors never did glow in the dark. Later Nuclear Engineering moved to a separate building, the National Lab offices moved to the renamed Wilhelm Hall, and later to a new building with the acronym TASF. The link building became overflow for otherwise homeless faculty. Now the Physical Sciences Reading room is being remodeled into something else, so the old doors were being tossed.

The term "Glow in the Dark" was actually invented in 1944 as part of the refining. The actual refining was done in a wood "temporary building" on the east side of campus. Nobody living knows what went on in there, but it was always said that if you went by at night, there was a strange glow coming from the building. You could see the glow through the wood. That was the only "temporary building" that didn't stand for 40 years.

When I built my house in 1980, we used all new doors in the house, but when I finished the basement a couple of years later, I used scrounged doors with stories. The bathroom door came from the house I lived in through college. It was framed with elm that my Granpa had cut during the depression. I had double doors leading into the shop that SWIMBOs dad scrounged in Milwaukee. The double doors to the outside were from the 1909 remodel of the church my mother went to growing up. Her ancestors were in on founding the church in 1832. Unfortunately we had to leave that house after only 8 years.

So, "Glow in the Dark" doors are a logical progression I guess. Just have to find a way to store them until we retire and find/build that "retirement home"