I believe that was called, 'Tickling the tigers tail'

Method was to take 2 sub critical massed, make a donut from one and a donut hole sphere from the other. Drop the sphere thru the hole on the donut, for an instant you have a critical mass that will peg all the meters. Brilliant young men in the 40's This was Manhattan Project fun and game in the era, makes good reading.
--
Pete Arnold ‹(•¿•)›
2007 HHR

Member of Escapees &
National Camping Travelers, A Masonic Family Camping Club