I believe that was called, 'Tickling the tigers tail'

Method was to take 2 sub critical massed, make a donut from one and a
donut hole sphere from the other.  Drop the sphere thru the hole

That doesn't conform to any definition of 'tickling' I'd
think of.  They did used to do it, or so I understand, but
I think it was more like ootching slugs of metal near each
other on a table.  The donut description is more like that
of an active bomb.  Not much as a tabletop demonstration!

-- Jim