Same as seat belt and helmet laws - they are designed to promote the public
welfare and save public costs at a small cost in personal freedom (the right
to act recklessly?).  Who pays for the hospital bills of brain-damaged
unhelmeted motorcyclists without insurance?  We all do, whether you realize
it or not.

Similarly, the cumulative savings in energy efficiency from a national
perspective are worth the cost and inconvenience - as determined by your/our
democratically elected representatives - of phasing out incandescent bulbs
for more efficient lighting.