Who says the compact florescents burn out quick? In fact I've never seen one
fail that wasn't mounted upside down and the more recent ones seem to tolerate
inverse mounting reasonably well.

When we moved into our house everything had 100w incandescents, apparently the
old man who lived there liked it BRIGHT. I've been replacing them as they die,
I think I've got 2 or 3 left. In their place I'm using 60w equivalent CF bulbs.
I bought a bunch cheap under some govt program a couple years ago. The oldest
ones have 5 years on them now.

In fact the light next to my computer is an old Phillips CF that I paid around
$20 for the year I got out of college. That'd be 11 years ago now. The one in
my bedroom lamp is one year newer. Both moved with us from our apartment into
the house 5 years ago...

People always complain "Oh you can't use them on a dimmer". Well I've never
seen much use for dimmers, if I wanted less lights I'd turn on fewer lights,
not run the lights I have less bright. Our ceiling fan lights all have dimmers
and as they fail I'm replacing them with normal switches. I've also never
encountered a dimmer that didn't make noise no matter what kind of bulbs,
interestingly its just about the same tone as my tinnitus but louder, I'm
surprised it doesn't drive people crazy... Anyway I don't consider the lack of
dimmer use a problem since I hate dimmers.

Now the mercury thing, that is a problem but we've seen huge advances in LED
tech so I figure its just a matter of time. I like the instant on aspect of
LEDs and their cold tolerance will make them better for outside use, although I
bought an "outside" CF a year or two ago that works real well...

-Curt