I love it when the power goes out.  I have a little generator that runs my
fridge and sump pump.  That will run for 24 hours on 6 gallons of gas.
Running for 30 min. at a time to keep things cold it goes a long time.  I
heat with wood only so there is no worry about a place to cook or read a
book by.  If it is too warm for the woodstove the cook stove is run off a
20# propane cylinder.
  The generator will also run the water pump and the water heater is
propane.  All the conveniences of every other day without paying the elecric
company.

Mike