So if you bought it from a dude in a parking lot, did you have to fill out any papework to transfer ownership? Around here, if you buy a gun at a gun store or whatever, you have to fill out this deal and answer some questions, they call a phone number and find out if you are approved or not. The gun is then tranferred to you. If you buy from an individual, most of the time its just a cash deal and thats it. Its possible the seller will want to go to a gun dealer and have the paperwork filled out to transfer the gun to you.

Gary Hurst wrote:

well, i've never lost a gun before, so i really wasn't sure what the
standard procedure is.  it wasn't loaded so some kid would have trouble
shooting someone with it.  it has no magazine either.  granted, all of that
could be simply remedied but it would make it less likely that some kid
would kill someone with it.  more likely, i'd think, it was sold to
criminals on the cheap if it was taken.

these weapons are relatively easy to acquire in the state of georgia.
anyone can go to any gun show and buy one.  I bought mine in a parking lot
of a crowded publix supermarket on a saturday afternoon from a gun nut with
a van full of "assault rifles".  this transaction took place in plain site
of not only shoppers, but also a police cruiser on patrol. Buying an AK-47
is no big deal here.

as for hte urgency of the situation, if hte gun is not actually out of my
possession, no one can be killed by it.  and if it is out of my possession,
searching would not bring it back and prevent its use in a violent crime.  I
cannot help the situation much as my failure is not a present one, but the
past failure of losing my weapon.  As I have never been in this position
before, I was asking more out of an interest in what protocol would be.

my trunk was locked.  i never have a firearm out of my immediate possession
that is not locked.  it is simply gone and i don't yet know how.  right now
i'm mostly trying to locate the serial number so i can report it missing.

i'm not sure my attitude is all that "oh well.'' I am profoundly upset by
this.  It's a disgrace to have your firearm disappear on you and a serious
breach of a shooter's unwritten code.  losing your firearm is terrible thing
the likes of which i never thought would happen to someone like me.  I don't
believe anyone will be killed or injured on account of this and, even if
there is a risk of this happening, i don't believe that getting hysterical
can do anything but further erode the situation.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,