In MO, the Federal background check is only  required for long gun purhcases
when you buy from an FFL (gun store,  etc). Private sales are no different than
buying a cord of wood. Buying  a car from your buddy is far more complicated
than buying a rifle from  your buddy...fitting as cars are FAR more dangerous
than guns :-)

  In MO, however, you do need a PTA (permit to acquire) a handgun. I  really
HATE this law. Technically, I cannot lend my pistol to my wife  without
violating this law...loaning, even to your wife is an illegal  transfer without
having this $10 form...and I would need another $10  form for her to lend it to
me. Actually only two people have ever been  convicted under it - one for
falsifying the document and the other was  a coke dealer. Which means it is
universally ignored, even by the  police. It's THAT stupid.

  Chris

"Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  So if you bought it from a dude
in a parking lot, did you have to fill
out any papework to transfer ownership?  Around here, if you buy a gun
at a gun store or whatever, you have to fill out this deal and answer
some questions, they call a phone number and find out if you are
approved or not.  The gun is then tranferred to you.  If you buy from an
individual, most of the time its just a cash deal and thats it.  Its
possible the seller will want to go to a gun dealer and have the
paperwork filled out to transfer the gun to you.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 150K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"