I wasn't expecting good snow performance as I had been used to driving my 220D automatic and a 450 and 560SEL which were not the best.

My winter car is a 200D manual.  For a short period my wife
was driving the 450SL.  Both riding on Hakkas, and both are/were
pretty darned good in the snow.  In the 200D I've driven on a
badly drifted road, with waves of snow washing over the hood,
and my only problems were ensuring that I was _on_ the road,
and avoiding stopping.

A good set of snow tires and 200# of sand in the back also
transformed my Camaro, a car that loved to spin around normally,
into a not-bad snow car.

The most amazing slippery road performance I have ever personally
experienced was in my Dodge pickup riding on mud/snow tires, with
a 3000# camper in the back!  On a glare ice day when _everybody_
was slipping and sliding around, we didn't even lose traction
once.

It's all about tires.  And weight.

-- Jim