I can attest to the poor snow and ice performance with a turbodiesel of any type and the 220D, for similar reasons. The 220D auto has a fluid coupling with fixed slip, so it transmits too much torque to the rear wheels. A turbo typically spins up and adds power without direct control by the driver, with the result again that there is too much torque being applied to the rear wheels.

Good tires make all the difference. My old Volvo TD would spin on wet pavement, let alone ice or snow when I got it, and after 50,000 miles the tires looked exactly like they did when I got it -- super hard 80,000 mile tires. No traction. I replaced them with Firestone LH-30s, and it became a decent car in ice and snow. Sadly, those tires are no longer available, they've been "improved" by tires with less traction and poorer balance!

Peter

I disagree. I drove my SDL nearly every day for seven or eight years in every kind of condition. With blizzaks, it would go anywhere within reason. It is obviously a turbodiesel. I also drove a 123 300D one winter and it was great too. It is all about tires. I don't even remember what was on the 300TD, but those tires were nothing special. Just some off brand tire that was on it when I got the car. It was a turbodiesel also. In those years I averaged over 50k per year on the SDL or TD, and drove several other vehicles too. Turbodiesel or Diesel, MBs handle well in snow with good tires and in most cases, weight in the trunk. I'd still prefer a 110 200D 2.4 for winter driving. (based on 42 yrs experience driving MBs and lotsa other stuff in winter conditions.)