On Fri, 3 May 2013 14:29:14 -0400 "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
wrote:

> I think we need to consider the real purpose of government.  Is it to
> keep us safe or to keep us free?  The two conflict quite a bit.

The preamble of the U.S. Constitution says,

      We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect
      Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for
      the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the
      Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and
      establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Craig