Vib damper on my '80 240D was poorly secured with 5 or 6 smaller bolts; some came out; others sheared; damper and pulley finally came off and dropped SWMBO on road; long distance truck driver gave her lift to a phone. 'Think the car had about 60 kmi then - my second MB disappointment; first was when exhaust pipe broke apart at rear end of muffler at 40 kmi. Third was when timing chain in '91 350SDL broke at 89 kmi.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Fiorentino" <gf...@dslnorthwest.net>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D Mystery Bolt????

http://my.opera.com/gfior/albums/show.dml?id=14664462

Dieselhead wrote:

<<Crankshaft bolt.  Holds the vibration damper on the crankshaft.>>

I was thinking (but hoping not) that would not only be the only fastener as large as that, but that would also account for the poor cooling. It sounds like it might be a PITA to change out. Anyone BTDT? Tips and tricks? Pull
radiator first?  Replace with even higher grade bolt (if available)?

Greg