We have some standard 1 pound loaf pans that got passed down from my grandmother (which means they date from the 1920s, I suspect). Perfect loaf of bread size as one must use homemade bread fairly quickly else it molds.

Use real bread flour -- King Arthur is about the best I've found around here. Most grocery store flour is way too weak for good bread.

My favorite way of making bread involves mixing most of the flour, the yeast, shortening, and liquid into a stiff mix and letting it sit for half an hour or so, then adding enough flour to get the right consistency for bread, then knead with the KitchenAid until ready. You can knead by hand if you have the time and strength, but that KitchenAid is great.

If you want whole wheat, rye, or something like that, mix the non- wheat or whole wheat flour into the mix first, they all work better if they have more time to absorb water before kneading.

Let it rise a while, form into loaves, toss into the pans, let rise a bit, then bake.

Best thing going, homemade bread!

Peter