We use all whole grain flours from Bob's Red Mill. You can find some of it
the stores, but we've taken to ordering it from them - it arrives at the
front door, no muss, no fuss.
By adding "gluten flour", you can use any other combination and still get a
nice textured loaf. My wife has also stopped using the bread pans
altogether - just forms long rounded loafs and bakes them on a pizza stone.
Works great.
I think the current version uses spelt and buckwheat flours primarily, with
some of the gluten flour. Yes, the Kitchen Aid is great for kneading it -
been using it for 30+ years now.

On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hand kneading is too much like real work.
>
> King Arthur flour is from Vermont. My wife's aunt and her pals go right to
> the factory every November for their holiday orders, apparently its quite a
> common thing for ladies in New England. I'm going to ask her to pick me up
> some of the special bread flour thats only available at the factory.
>
> The Hecker's stuff I posted comes from my local IGA and is about the best
> I've ever worked with. High gluten bread flour with great flavor. I rarely
> use anything else although I do want to try the special as noted above.
>
> I need to find some real loaf pans, I've got a silicone one which is
> acceptable but the sides are too weak and its a 1 1/2 pound pan which is
> too big...
>
> -Curt
>
> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 10:03:59 -0500
> From: Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - buymbparts is drinking tea and eating pancakes
>
> We have some standard 1 pound loaf pans that got passed down from my
> grandmother (which means they date from the 1920s, I suspect).
> Perfect loaf of bread size as one must use homemade bread fairly
> quickly else it molds.
>
> Use real bread flour -- King Arthur is about the best I've found
> around here.  Most grocery store flour is way too weak for good bread.
>
> My favorite way of making bread involves mixing most of the flour, the
> yeast, shortening, and liquid into a stiff mix and letting it sit for
> half an hour or so, then adding enough flour to get the right
> consistency for bread, then knead with the KitchenAid until ready.
> You can knead by hand if you have the time and strength, but that
> KitchenAid is great.
>
> If you want whole wheat, rye, or something like that, mix the non-
> wheat or whole wheat flour into the mix first, they all work better if
> they have more time to absorb water before kneading.
>
> Let it rise a while, form into loaves, toss into the pans, let rise a
> bit, then bake.
>
> Best thing going, homemade bread!
>
> Peter

OK Don
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin 1775
"in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."
- Benjamin Franklin 1789
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2012 Passat TDI DSG, 44 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!