Phil thanks for your view a few rebuttals and I am going to quite on this one.

"For reference, I have logged over 300,000 miles in a big truck. I have
driven nearly 1,000,000 total"

I have driven 40,000 to 70,000 miles a year in a car since 1984. That puts me close to a million miles too, much of it with trucks at my side or breathing down my back.

"How many of those are the fault of the car? Just because a truck was
involved does _not_ mean that the truck is to blame"

Very true, but as the largest thing on the road the damage done no mater who is at fault is exponential compared to a car. Even more reason these tuck drivers should be ultra conservative

"Yup. But there's nothing inherently dangerous about driving for 12
hours a day. And when the job pays by the mile, who would not want to
squeeze as many mile as practical"

Even if it involves staying in the left land, driving two inches from a cars butt, speeding and breaking many other infractions. I disagree if it is like "walk with a dozen happy puppies trying to greet me" as you say Phil this takes major concentration especially in a truck. The whole trucking philosophy / payment schedule that you are trying to push the envelope with a 50-ton vehicle stinks.

"One consequence is that a truck driver
is often reluctant to slow down because it can take so long to get
back up to speed. (One truck I drove, with a full load on level ground
would take more than 1.5 miles to go from 50 mph to 60 mph) Add to
that the frustration of lost momentum at the bottom of a hill that can
result in losing 4 gears on the climb rather than 1 gear - all
because an "idiot 4-wheeler" was doing something stupid"

Too bad, as a trucker that is the life you chose. If I am a doctor I do not complain about blood. If I am a professional football player I do not complain about getting hit. If I am a pilot I do not complain about altitude sickness. Truckers should have the brains to slow down. Safety is just not paramount among many of them. Trains had it worse and slower problems, be thankful for 55 mph. It they get there an hour later without pushing the envelope that is a good thing. Every truck regardless of what some

Phil your argument is the same I have heard for 20 years. Trucks want the same thing that a two-ton car wants. They want to pass at will, they want to speed, they want the same accountability as a car. That is like asking an oil tanker to abide by the same rules as a sailboat.

Phil, I could go on, but my arguments are not going to convince you or your peers. It is a whole different mindset/way of thinking. Truckers think the country would not function with out them yet fail to realize the poor person, doctor , teacher, engineer, ect. matter just as much to keep this country going. Difference is most of them comuting are not being paid directly to move up and down the road. The vast majority of the "jerks in the cars" are subsidizing the very trucking industry by paying the lions share of the interstate taxes for the roads most of the truckers run on.

Regards

Tom Scordato

Bellefonte PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Fmiser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>